Friday, May 9, 2014

My Experience in Digging the World We Want

By Rubina Shrestha


In May of 2013, Restless Development, a youth-led INGO announced a Training of Trainers (ToT) programme on Post-2015 Development Agenda for youth affiliated with different organisations. On behalf of Yuwalaya, I got an opportunity to participate in that ToT, where I not only learnt about the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and post-2015 agenda but also got an opportunity to meet youth from different areas having diverse expertise. 

It was informed to participants that the organiser will select the outstanding participants as facilitators to facilitate upcoming consultations on Post-2015 Development Agenda with adolescents and youths. But, I was one of the quiet participants of the ToT, performing my best and speaking less! 

During the consultation at one point of the time we all are divided into groups and asked to run a consultation on Post MDG 2015. With little hope and confidence in mind I gave my 100 percent in presentation. Few days after the completion of ToT I got a call from organizer, which was amazingly surprising!!! That as the great moment for me to know I had been selected for the district level and regional consultations. As a facilitator I visited districts like Sindhuli and Sarlahi. 

I still feel honoured when I met youth and adolescents from different social, cultural, geographical and psychological backgrounds. Some of them were school going children while some others were graduates. Some were from marginalised community and some were disabled; some were optimistic towards their life and some were confused. Despite these differences, they were representing the youth of our country and to some extent; it was an eye opener for me to know this. 

During the consultations we came to know kinds of problems they face in their society, kind of society they want and sorts of implementation strategies they want from the stakeholders. Good schools, transportation facilities, end of dowry and early marriage, health and sanitation were very common desires I observed. As I was from Kathmandu, but still a youth, I found their problems very different and vague than mine. I felt lucky that I am getting every facility. Claiming it may sound rude, but it was what I felt.

I participated in three consultations where two were district-level and one was regional in Biratnagar. Though the places were different and the participants were from different places, the problems in general were common. They had complains with government and their local stakeholders. One thing I noticed during the consultation was every one of them was blaming the government for every problem and expecting reforms from the state. No one was seen interested to take initiation to change. I did not like that complaining trend, through I was helpless to think of what should they have done instead. 

In overall, the consultations provided me an opportunity to understand more about problems of people and places and their ideas and suggestions in solving them. I hope that knowledge will help me work for the people I work with at my organisation. 

Rubina, professionally a mediaperson, is Secretary of Yuwalaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment